Tasks

ENTREPRENEUR TASK 1
-
 Perform a SWOT analysis of your 
business/market
-
Perform a PEST analysis of your industry


SWOT ANALYSIS
Martin Rooney
Guitar Lessons


Strengths




Ability to connect with learners
Good foundation in music
Good connections with other guitarists
Experience in online tutorials
Have taught before
Can give feedback and advice
Well known in area for musical ability




















Opportunities




Online tutorials
One to one tuition
Dedicated tuition (teach party pieces)
Guitar classes in other locations
To buy and sell guitars and accessories on location.





Weaknesses





Not a graded guitarist
Lack of formal guitar training (self taught)
Insufficient working capital















Threats






Other guitar schools could come into the area.
Graded & affiliated schools
Online tutorials could reduce reliance on formal class
Legal costs






PEST ANALYSIS

Political

Government positivity with the start-up of sme’s
Tax incentives
Enterprise allowance incentives


















Social

People beginning to have funds for personal extras and education
Retired with extra time
Young musical








Economic


Rent costs
Insurance
Instruments and accessories
transport
Local area/ distance



















Technological




You tube.
Tutorials.
Downloads
DVD tutorials








ENTREPRENEUR TASK 2
Conduct research using the Questions from todays session &
bring notes on results. 
First question what do I need to ask?
The Market
what is the size of the market for my proposed business?
what is the life cycle for this type of business?
gaps, opportunities, trends.
Access, distribution/ channels
what is my competition
Technology
Second question: Who to ask
I believe the people to ask these questions for my proposed business are the local resource centre managers. The reason for this is that they have a lot of knowledge about the resources in the area in which I wish to start the small business. I asked about two proposed businesses, andfound out that one of the businesses was already being run free of charge in the resource centre, and therefore I decided not to pursue that idea any further.
I asked about a guitar class in the area and found that there were no other such classes in the area. There was also a definite gap as there had been many inquiries about classes in the centre. This led to them offering the learning space at a reduced rate for my start-up while the class was being established. They also offered the use of their social networking and advertising resources. While talking to the manager of the centre, she offered contacts for reduced cost of public liability insurance.
Question 3: Where and how to ask
Before I began my course, I don't think I would have known how to ask. After identifying that there was an opportunity for a small business in the area, I realized that the local resource centre also wishes to be a fully rounded business, and that the way they continue to be that, is to identify the gaps in local services and try to fill them. They know that helping their potential customers, and not having people with the same businesses competing against each other is key. With this in mind I realized that they were both the where and how to ask. 
Create a Best Practice Research Document
Build a Business Task
Join an
industry group


 
-
Follow Industry leaders on social media
-
Link up with your LEO
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog